Thursday, July 24, 2008

Don't Forget Your Helmet!

I was involved in car vs. bicycle accident this week... had it not been for the fact that the man on the bike was wearing his helmet, the result may have been much worse. He was able to walk away from the accident. He was riding in a bike lane when he suddenly and without warning turned to the left into my lane leaving me nowhere to go and no time to react. I can't put into words the horror of hitting someone and watching them fly up your hood and on to your windshield. The sight and the sound is still so fresh in my mind. We thank God he is alright. My beloved little Subaru is just a hunk of metal that is replaceable... a human life is not. So if you ride... wear your helmet, and always look for cars, and then look again.

Here she is prior to the accident...

And here's what she looks like after broadsiding a bicyclist at 40 MPH

This is the ROOF of the car just above the windshield...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy moly!!! Praise God that everybody was okay. I'm guessing it was your keen NASCAR sensibilities and the new SAFER barrier that prevented this from being any worse? :)