Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Story of "IBDAVE"

Way back when in 1985, I was up late watching my favorite late night show, "Late Night With David Letterman"
He was doing his show from California and was talking about how many people in Cali had personalized license plates. So he assembled a bunch of Californians with their cars and their licenese plates for an interview. The only one I can remember was a "not-so-sexy" old woman who drove a 1975 Mercury with the plate that said "IBSEXY" !!! I laughed out loud because she really was a far cry from what her plate described. But at that moment, I thought "IBDAVE" would be a fun plate to have on my car when I had my own wheels. That dream came true when dad gifted me the old 1966 Datsun Pick-Up I'd been driving as a graduation gift. I went right out to the Idaho DMV and got the plate I wanted!




Funny thing, the guy at the Idaho DMV was named Dave, and he thought my plate was unique enough to photocopy and display at DMV as the first "IB" plate. Now, some 23 years later, "IBDAVE" is still on my car and I just can't let it go. I don't know why... I probably need a 12-step program to be able to go back to a generic plate.



3 comments:

Steve Etheridge said...

That's awesome! Good thing your name wasn't Aloicious or something longer, eh? :)

snotbottom said...

Totally cool! I'm always running plate possibilities in my head.

snotbottom said...

ooo ooo....

IBRISA!

Looks like Brisa. nah.

IBPAUL.

RIZAPOO